Monday, January 22, 2018

Tuning up a Hand Plane


I tuned up a seldom-used hand plane recently to give to a friend.  This was a plane that I had been sitting on a shelf for a number of years, and I hadn't used it mainly because I'm too picky.  It's a decent plane but it has plastic handles, and I prefer wood.

Then a friend started asking me questions about flattening rough lumber; the sorts of questions that make me talk for a long time.  He politely listened to what I had to say and as a reward I decided that this plane would find a better home with him.

So before I sent it to its new home I tuned the plane up to the best condition I could make it.  The video above walks through everything I did.  There are lots of different ways to rune up a plane, and this is just the steps that work for me.  Your mileage my vary.

No comments: