Wednesday, October 15, 2014

First open source patch accepted

I was about to post about my first patch accepted to an upstream open source project, but then I started digging around and discovered this one was actually my first!

I'm not trying to toot my own horn (ok, I am a little), I was just proud that I actually have some small, insignificant bits of code contributed to the open source community.

If anyone is remotely interested the first patch is to the Busybox project to fix a bug whereby a linked local network interface will keep getting a different IP between reboots when it should be getting the same IP on subsequent boots.  I can see your eyes glazing over...

The second patch is to the Yocto project and has to do with the generated entropy on an embedded Linux system.  Basically, if there's not enough entropy in the system then random numbers become much less random which can be a security risk if those random numbers are used for something related to cryptography.

And I guess to add to that I have lots of commits submitted to repos here and here, but those are repos owned by the company I work for so I wasn't counting those.




No comments: