Friday, December 21, 2012

Droid Incredible Repair


A few months ago the screen on my wife's Droid Incredible got cracked.  Rather than invest in a new phone I decided I'd try and replace the touchscreen with something like this.  I watched a YouTube video on how to do it here and jumped in.

I was nervous as hell while I did it; it really felt like I was performing surgery.  In the end I was successful and saved a bundle of money in the process.

Here's some tips I learned that seemed to help:
  1. Use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive that attaches the touchscreen glass to the phone's frame.  It helps it peel off much more easily.
  2. Use powder-less rubber gloves when handling the screen since this will help avoid getting fingerprints between the touchscreen and the LCD where you can't clean them off after reassembling the phone.
  3. Work on a clean flat table and have some container to put all the tiny screws and other parts so they don't roll away and get lost.
  4. Take your time.




No comments: