Tuesday, April 06, 2010

I've been working with the pressure sensor again. I finally got a very ugly prototype of a hand-held meter built. The basic idea is that I have the pressure sensor wired to one of the analog inputs of an arduino, and then the arduino sends sample data out via serial to my PC.

I got some pretty good readings that look like I'll have a resolution of around 0.005 SG (which is usable, I think). The only major problem I ran into was that air was slowly leaking out the tubes that were in the water, which means the seal I have between the tubes and the pressure sensor ports isn't good enough. So the next thing on my list is to come up with a way to seal the tubes better.

Here are some pictures of the prototype:
















2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey ken, i found your blog while i googled. i am wanting to make some little level transmitters for friends and family, for use on farm with animal water feeders. I am having trouble connecting wires to the freescale surface mount sensor. I like the way you did it. Where do I find those little boards?

Ken said...

Thanks for reading; good luck with your level sensors. I got that particular protoboard from Radioshack (although there are plenty of other places you can get similar stuff from. I cut one of the boards in half since I only needed to solder the pins on one side of the sensor. Here's a link to it: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103799